August 29, 2012

The Next Big Thing (What I'm Working On)

I've been tagged to write about my current work in progress in week 10 of The Next Big Thing. Here are the questions and my answers.


What is the working title of your book?

Right now I'm torn between Maggie Magick and The Witches of Dark Root. My husband says that Maggie Magick sounds like a book for an eight-year-old so...that may be the deciding factor.


Where did the idea come from for the book?

The two things I love to write about are magic and family dynamics. So one day, while daydreaming, I thought about what it would be like to really combine the two into one book. I was pretty excited!

What genre does your book fall under?

Hmm...I'm guessing fantasy. But it's also really grounded in realism. It was important to me to let the magical parts of the book be secondary to the real world setting. I never wanted to go over the top with this project.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

I like the girl from The Hunger Games. Think I can get her? :)

What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?

Maggie is a young woman with magical powers who left home to get away from her 'witchy' upbringing, but now she has to return to her hometown of Dark Root, Oregon to set things right with her family and learn the true nature of her gift.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Unsure at this point. I think every story needs a home. I will find it a home one way or another.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

I am still about 15,000 words from finishing the first draft, but the end is in sight. It took me almost a year, but that wasn't straight writing. A lot of the time was spent thinking about the characters and the plot line. Its more intricate than the other books I've written. I should be done with the first draft in two weeks.

What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?

The only other book that I know of is Practical Magic. The blending of realism with witchcraft, along with the sibling relationships, is pretty comparable.

Who or What inspired you to write this book?

My childhood. I've always been fascinated by family dynamics. I was the second oldest of six children and we had our own mini-political system in the family. Any time I get to explore that I am happy. We also had somewhat of a magical upbringing. My mother possessed some unusual, if not downright spooky powers at times. It intrigued me.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Well, there are no shades of grey in the book, but there are some blurry lines between light and dark. Maggie has to learn how to use magic effectively, tapping into the good stuff, without straying into the bad.

If you like books about witches, sisters, small towns, and mysterious backgrounds, you might really enjoy this one.


Thanks JC Andrijeski for tagging me! http://jcandrijeski.blogspot.in/2012/08/the-next-big-thing-war-allies-war-book.html#links

Rules

***Answer the ten questions about your current WIP (Work In Progress) ***
Tag five other writers/bloggers and add their links so we can hop over and meet them. It’s that simple.

Ten Interview Questions for The Next Big Thing

  1. What is the working title of your book?
  2. Where did the idea come from for the book?
  3. What genre does your book fall under?
  4. Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
  5. What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
  6. Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
  7. How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
  8. What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
  9. Who or What inspired you to write this book?
  10. What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meditations on The Shadows of Dark Root

I may have gotten a bit metaphysical during the creation of The Shadows of Dark Root. I always knew I wanted Maggie and her companions to j...